Thursday, December 31, 2015

new year resolutions | 2016

I'm normally not one to make New Year Resolutions. But this year is different for me. In 2015, my husband got a new job, we moved to a different town, my small business took off, I became pregnant, I had to discontinue my college classes (my last semester), we had many different pregnancy scares, we were blessed with baby L five weeks early, we pushed through (and are still pushing through) her many different health problems, and we have experienced more love, fear, hope, and change than we have any other year. So I feel like it's important for not only me, but for my family, to set some goals for the upcoming year.

My New Year Resolutions:

  • Enhance my relationship with the Lord. This year was the best year for us, but it was also the hardest. I found myself asking "Why?" a lot, and fearing the future more than I should. I used to read my Bible every morning, and I did for a while after L was born. But when her health problems began, I was very hard to pick up my Bible and read when I was trying to calm a pained baby. So I began hurrying my prayers, but then in return, getting upset when I didn't feel as if He were here helping me. It took a deep realization that He wasn't drifting from me, I was drifting from Him. He will never leave, and I had to remember that on a daily basis. It is a resolution for me in this upcoming year to grow closer to him every day of the year.
  • Be the best wife and mother I can be. I will strive every day to be the best wife I can be to K and be the best mother I can be to L. They deserve all of that and more. I am so blessed to be a wife and mother and I will never take it for granted! 
  • Love myself the way I am (and the way I look). It's no secret that pregnancy is hard on your body. You gain weight in places you didn't even know existed, your bone structure changes so you are able to push out a sweet baby, stretch marks become a part of your body, and your body is just different. I have struggled with my body image immensely for as long as I can remember, but I want this year to be different. I want to love my body the way it is because even though it is different, it's beautiful in the ways that it's different. It carried and birthed a sweet baby girl, and I don't want to hate it because it shows that journey. 
  • Stop caring about what other people think. I feel like this is a hard one for a lot of people, and I will be the first to admit that it's extremely hard for me. I always fear that I won't be good enough for those around me, that they won't like me if I'm "me". But who said that I had to be "good enough" for all those around me? The only One I need to be concerned about how He thinks of me is the Lord, and that's it. I'm not living my life for every one else, and it's as simple as that.
  • Enjoy every day. We have had some rough days in 2015. Days that I thought we would never get through. I found myself wishing for the next day, the next Friday, the next weekend. But in that wishing, I was wishing days away that were so special. Days spent with my daughter, days spent with my husband, days that are gifted to us from the Lord. No matter how hard the day is, I will enjoy it, treasure it, and love it because that's one more day I have been blessed with.
  • LOVE. I spent a lot of this year working on love, but I want to continue it into 2016. I will love all of those around me, because that is what our Heavenly Father has commanded us to do. The more I love, the more love I bring into our lives and the lives of those around us.
I will probably come up with a resolution or two after the New Year starts, but these are the ones that I'm going to start the New Year off with. I'm so excited to start this New Year with my family, and I can't wait to see what it brings!

What are your New Year Resolutions?

{If I have faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. -1 Corinthians 13:2.}

xoxo, Brandi

No comments:

Post a Comment