Wednesday, December 2, 2015

five reasons | why I got married young

There is definitely a new "normal" in today's society about how young is too young to get married. When I got engaged at 19 and married at 20, I heard just as many negative comments as I heard positive.

“Are you pregnant?” “You have your whole life to get married.” “Are you sure he’s the one?” “You’re too young to know what love is.”
and so on and so forth.

So, to all you negative Nancy’s who shame couples about getting married young, this is why I got married so young:

1.) We felt led by the Lord to do so. And I don’t know about you, but I certainly don’t question His direction.

2.) Because even though we were only in our early 20’s, that didn’t mean we didn’t know what love was and that we wanted to spend the rest of our lives together.

3.) We found our “soul mate” early in life, and there’s no shame in that.

4.) Despite what everyone said, we knew what we were doing to the best of our ability. We didn’t “jump” into anything and we prepared ourselves as best we could to be a married couple. We prayed and talked long and hard before tying the knot. We didn’t just hop in the car, drive to Vegas, and say “I do” in front of Elvis (although I do not judge those who chose to do that). 

5.) Marriage still has the same definition at 20 as it does at 40. Whether you get married at 20 or 40, marriage is still something new to those who have never been married. Those who get married at 40 still get hit with the hardships of marriage, just as those who get married at 20. We just found out earlier in our lives.

Getting married young isn’t for everyone, and we’ve endured hardships, just the same as everyone, but there hasn't been one day that has gone by that I have regretted getting married as young as I did. Couples who marry at 50 may divorce, and those who get married at 20 may not. It’s not your age that defines your marriage, it’s the effort that you put into it, no matter what your age. 

{So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate. -Matthew 19:6}

xoxo, Brandi

2 comments: