Friday, February 12, 2016

this too shall pass

I'm going to share a post with you that I read on Facebook this morning, but be warned, mommas: you might want to grab some tissues.


the last time

From the moment you hold your baby in your arms, you will never be the same.
You might long for the person you were before, when you had freedom and time, and nothing in particular to worry about.

You will know tiredness like you never knew it before, and days will run into days that are exactly the same: full of feedings and burping, nappy changes and crying, whining and fighting, naps or lack of naps. It might seem like a never-ending cycle.

But don't forget- there is a last time for everything. There will come a time when you feed your baby for the very last time. They will fall asleep on you after a long day, and it will be the last time you ever hold your sleeping child.

One day you will carry them on your hip, then set them down, and never pick them up that way again. You will scrub their hair in the bath one night, and from that day on they will want to bathe alone.

They will hold your hand to cross the road, then never reach for it again. They will creep into your room at midnight for cuddles, and it will be the last night you ever wake to this.

One afternoon you will sing "the wheels on the bus", and do all the action, then never sing that song again. They will kiss you goodbye at the school gate, the next day they will ask to walk to the gate alone.

You will read a final bedtime story and wipe your last dirty face. They will run to you with arms raised for the very last time.

The thing is, you won't even know it's the last time until there are no more times. And even then, it will take you a while to realize.

So while you are living in these times, remember there are only so many of them, and when they are gone, you will yearn for just one more day of them.
For one last time.

| author unknown, artist - lauri blank, post and photo from Facebook |


I definitely wasn't kidding about the tissues.

This post didn't make me cry- it made me bawl. I sat and thought about how much I actually missed the newborn stage. Maybe not running off of two hours of sleep in seven days, or feeling completely overwhelmed, or how sore I felt during my postpartum days.
But I miss the sweet cuddles all day long- the cuddles on my chest where my baby slept so soundly all the time. I miss my tiny, tiny, tiny baby that felt so small in my arms. I miss how sweet and new that little face looked, the tiny hands that grasped mine. The tiny little whimpers that were her cries. I even miss the day she was born, holding her and seeing her for the first time.

I sat on my phone and looked at newborn pictures while my baby napped in her crib. I felt the tears fall down my face, because I wished I could just go back for one day and feel those soft and sweet cuddles and breathe it all in for just one more day. I cherished every moment, but I just wanted to cherish one more time.

As I heard my baby wake from her nap, I walked into her room as I wiped my tears away. I leaned over her crib, and the moment she saw my face, she squealed with delight with the biggest smile on her face. I picked her up and she snuggled her face onto my shoulder as if she were giving me a hug.

I felt more tears fall down my face, but this time it wasn't because I missed her tiny newborn self: it was because even though she's not a newborn anymore, she amazes me every day and makes me feel more love that I ever thought possible. While I miss her sleeping on my chest, I have these squeals to look forward to now. Just like when she gets older by another month or year, I have something new to look forward to.

It's bittersweet to watch your baby grow. I try so hard not to dwell on what I miss. I cherished it when I could, just like I will cherish today. I am so blessed and grateful that I have a healthy, growing baby. I don't want to waste a day wishing I could go back when my baby is so excitedly moving forward. It's okay to miss those days- but it's also okay to look forward to the things ahead.

I will take just one more second every day to breathe in right now- how she holds my hand, how she snuggles into my shoulder when she's tired, how she squeals when she sees me. I will give her one extra snuggle while I still can.

During your hard days, remember that this too shall pass. During your easy days, remember that this too shall pass. Cherish every single moment, good and bad. Cherish every single day, good and bad.
Take just one more moment today to cherish what might be gone tomorrow. 

{I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of Him. - 1 Samuel 1:27.}

xoxo, Brandi

2 comments:

  1. I love this and struggle with it daily haha my daughter is 15 months now, and she's giving us hugs and kisses back and it's the sweetest thing ever. I've definitely done the thing where I've been holding her and looking at old pictures of her. She's amazing and I can't get enough!! <3
    Love this post!!
    xoxo,
    Alysalovely.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww! That is so sweet. I totally get you. My little babe is only/already 4 months, but she changes SO much every day! It's definitely a momma thing. <3

      Delete