Wednesday, October 5, 2016

how I healed my diastasis recti

Have you guys every heard of the term "diastasis recti"? I had absolutely no idea what DR (diastasis recti) was when I was pregnant. Nor did I know what it was after I gave birth. Yeah, my stomach was severely weak after birth, but I thought that was normal.

Around 2-3 months postpartum, I was starting to get…upset? with my belly. The rest of my body was heading back to its old form, while my stomach was a simple #nope.

I started reading about fixing a postpartum baby belly, and found a video about DR. I thought, well, my belly sounds like that, maybe that’s what’s wrong.

So I watched the video and did the “test” to see if my abs have separated, and sure enough, I had a four finger gap between my abs.

Holy moly.

I immediately started researching on how to heal DR, and I came across the PurelyTwins page, which had many posts and information dedicated to DR. This post is the main one I did to heal my DR, and you can find many safe workouts for DR sufferers on their fitness page. Just make sure to only do the ones that specifically say they are DR safe.*

*side note: you cannot do regular ab workouts with DR. Not only will it hurt and be very hard to do due to the DR, but it will not allow it to heal and can even make it worse. I highly recommend doing workouts specifically dedicated to being safe for DR, such as the ones mentioned above.

I was also told by some friends who had it to suck it in a lot. It trains your abs to grow back together quicker. Also, watch your posture. The better your posture = the quicker you DR will heal. Try not to carry your child on your hip, rather stand with good posture and hold baby in the front. This all goes back to proper posture.

I know some women purchased a belly band thing, that allowed their stomach to be engaged even when they weren’t actively engaging it. I do not know how well these work because I never got one. If you want to try it though, I’m sure it will just help heal your DR quicker!

It’s a slow process, my friends. You will notice a difference little by little…until one day, you’re not sucking your belly in as far. ;) 

background via
Good luck, and please ask me any questions that you have!

xoxo, Brandi

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure that I had a mild version of this after I had Olivia. I can still feel a little bit of a gap to this day, and although my midwife said it's nothing to worry about, it also seems like crunches and all that aren't working to get my tummy back completely flat. I'm going to check out those exercises and see if they help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsay - definitely!! Crunches and other "regular" ab workouts, I found out, make the gap worse / fail to heal it. The gap is more annoying than anything!!

      Delete