Wednesday, June 14, 2017

bloom with grace

“Biblically, waiting is not just something we have to do until we get what we want. Waiting is part of the process of becoming what God wants us to be.”

I’m not a patient person. Just ask my husband how patient I am.

I’m about as patient as my toddler is when she’s hungry, tired, and bored.

I’ve always been impatient, and it definitely doesn’t do me any favors in life.

via

Kyle and I have definitely been going through a “frustrating” phase in life, ever since our whole trying-and-failing-to-sell-our-home-ordeal. From illnesses, to surgeries, to a more-than-usual fussy toddler, to things just plain not working out, it seems like we are constantly having doors slammed in our faces.

And I know. I know I know I know - when a door is closed, God is doing us a favor by not letting us walk through those doors. I know, and I’m so thankful for His graciousness and protection.

But it can be so.dang.frustrating.

I try really, really hard not to complain. I know it can always be worse, and I have an incredibly blessed life that I’ll never take for granted.

But if you’ve ever been through a stage in life where it’s nope.nope.nope.nope.nope time after time, then you know what I’m talking about. It can be hard, no matter how good-for-us those “no’s” are.

I was reading my devotional the other day, and I came across the quote that is at the very top of this page. It was a very quiet “oh” moment.

Waiting is hard, so very very hard. It’s even harder when you don’t even know exactly what you’re waiting for. But that waiting - it’s not all for nothing. So many times in life, it’s so tempting to say, “well, that was all for nothing.”

But waiting is not one of those things.

In fact, waiting is almost like a giant blessing in disguise. 

Have you ever seen this picture?


This picture hits me in the feels every single time I see it. It’s giant reminder for me that while we are going through a lot of doors closing [slamming] in our faces, there’s one heck of a great door up ahead that we just can’t see yet. Why settle for an “eh” when there’s a “WOW” up ahead?

Even though the waiting is still terribly hard, it’s comforting to know that there’s something big coming. This time is not all for nothing. The jerk downstairs is constantly trying to rip joy from us {John 10:10}, especially in our waiting periods. We are at a low point during waiting, and he uses that to his advantage.

But we don’t have to let him. We don’t have to get discouraged, mad, or upset. We can let God take this waiting time to change us, to transform us into something incredible. We can wait for what we want with joy, knowing that this time is preparing us for something incredible, no matter how long it takes. 

Today, if you’re struggling with a “no”, or even just a “not yet”, don’t let the enemy take hold of that. Lay it on Jesus’ feet, because we were not meant to carry these burdens. 

It’s coming. The time and moment I'm waiting for is coming. And when it does, I know I’ll be so grateful for this waiting period.

Let your hope keep you joyful, be patient in your troubles, and pray at all times. - Romans 12:12


3 comments:

  1. This post was just beautiful, Brandi. I am right there with you right now in the "waiting" phase. I have been praying and praying to figure out a way to start making money from home so I can quit my job and stay with the kiddos. There are so many different things that I would love to do to make money on the side but nothing seems to be working out, especially blogging. I've been really frustrated lately and I'm MISERABLE at my job, but my hands are tied right now so I'm just trying to be patient and wait. I know that God's timing is everything, but it really is hard not knowing. This post gave me some comfort so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Lindsay! This just made my day. I am so happy to hear that it brought you comfort. I know God has great things planned for you, and I'll be praying that something works out for you soon so you are able to do your "dream job"! :)

      Delete
  2. Well said, Lady! Waiting is hard for me too. And then trying to teach your children to learn to do something you're not even good at.. so hard. But you're right, it's always worth the Wow!

    ReplyDelete